Friday, October 20, 2006

Claudia Schiffer: Models Are Too Thin



Claudia Schiffer says that models have become too skinny to be attractive. "It doesn't really look good any more," the 36-year-old says in an interview with Germany's Bunte magazine. "Fashion looks good on thin models, but when you look at today's models you can not help but think there is something wrong. They are way too thin. It is only bones that stick out."

  Schiffer hit her stride as a catwalker in the 90s, along with supermodels like Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Christie Turlington and Linda Evangelista. Schiffer isn’t the only one who’s noticed something lacking in today’s models. The city of Madrid recently banned models below a certain weight from its fashion shows. Models with a body-mass-index (BMI) -- which takes into account height and weight -- of less than 18 were not allowed to take to the runway.

  "Models have always been thin. But today, they are even thinner, which is unbelievable," said Schiffer, who has been on the cover of more than 550 magazines during her career. Schiffer said she was on the heavy side when she began modeling in 1988. "I was one of the fattest when I started," said Schiffer, who according to a German magazine website "Modellkartei" nevertheless has a BMI of just under 18. The Web site lists Schiffer as 5’11” and weighing 128 pounds. "Ever since I started having children, I can eat whatever I want. I eat chocolate almost every day and drink whole milk so that I don't lose any more (weight)," said Schiffer, who has a daughter, Clementine, who turns 2 in November, and a son Caspar, 3, with her husband Matthew Vaughn. "When media started writing that I looked too thin and ill, I went to the doctor. He said I was healthy," she said. "I didn't gain weight after the pregnancies. I hope it stays like that."

Source

|