Thursday, February 15, 2007

Eva Mendes: How I got my best body ever!



Once a food junkie and exercise phobe, Eva Mendes discovers the rewards of living a healthier lifestyle. The March issue of Shape, on stands now, has all of Eva’s insider tips.

When Eva decided to transform her body by changing her diet and beginning an exercise program, she turned to her super-fit friend Halle Berry for advice.

Halle suggested Eva meet with Harley Pasternak, the fitness coach whom Halle trained with for her role in Catwoman. Shape gives readers a peek into the strategy Eva used to drop pounds and tone up.

Born in Miami and raised in LA, Eva is the youngest of four kids in a Cuban family. “I grew up eating meat, potatoes, black beans, rice and a lot of white bread,” says Eva. By the time she was in her 20’s and a struggling actress living on her own, Eva had become what she calls a nutritional disaster. “I was in my car all day, running from audition to audition, living off of Jack in the Box,” she says. “I had no energy and was moody, and I didn’t look as cute in my jeans as I used to,” she says.

Her solution was to find healthy alternatives to her old faves by picking foods that had similar flavors or textures. “Learning to love fresh greens hasn’t been easy,” admits Eva. “My goal is to actually one day crave salads, but I’m not there yet.”

When Eva decided to adjust her habits, she knew very little about diet and exercise. But because her trainer’s style is to explain the “how” and, more importantly, the “why” behind each exercise and food choice, his clients understand the rationale for them- and they are more likely to stick with the program.

The best lesson she has learned in the last year is, however, is to really appreciate her body. “I’ve kept my curvy shape, but now my body is toned and defined,” she says. “I wake up with more energy, I’m on track nutritionally, and I’m learning to have fun at the gym. I’ve never felt better!”

|