Friday, March 16, 2007

Reese Witherspoon in Harper's Bazaar

Reese Witherspoon is on the cover of April's Harper's Bazaar, looking ridiculously pretty and fresh, professing her love for her kids and her new favorite designer.

She looks lovely, but we'd be remiss if we didn't point out the backhanded compliment that is the cover line "Reese Witherspoon: Fabulous At Every Age."

Don't they usually reserve those sorts of zingers for Sally Field or Jane Fonda? The poor girl turns 31 next week, and you'd think she was the spokeswoman for AARP or something.

It's like your one friend who's always offering up insincere approbations like, "It's great how you really work your small breasts!" or "Oh, you never have to worry about men. You're always having sex with someone!"

We digress. Check out quotes from the interview below...

On how she spent her 30th birthday: "Playing Boggle and eating fried chicken."

On being a generous friend: "If I have to say anything about myself, I'm a really good girlfriend. And I give away a lot of shoes. It's really nice to be me. And it's really nice to be my friend who has the same shoe size."

On her Golden Globes look: "I felt like I looked different than I've ever looked. I don't know why. I just did."

On her new love for Nina Ricci designer Olivier Theyskens: "I've used a stylist before, but these days I'm kind of just going with Olivier's taste. He said, 'I see you in yellow,' and who's to question him? He's such an artist. He has so much visual information in his head that he just channels it into his work and creates amazing things."

On out with the old, in with the new. "I recently put a big pile of clothes on the floor of my closet, and I looked at a lot of the stuff and thought, 'That's not me at all! What was I thinking?' [For Legally Blonde] I went through a pink phase like you wouldn't belieeeve. Then there was a Marni phase when I was doing Sweet Home Alabama that was out of control."

On her life: "I look forward to my work. I love my children. At this time in my life, it's about spending time with my kids, really connecting with my friends. I'm very lucky. I have a really great life."

|