Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The scandal of our starving models and actors: Do drugs play a role?



Liz Jones writes an interesting article in UK Daily Mail, here is an excerpt from the article:

A week or so ago, I interviewed Paige Adams-Geller, a former model who now designs her own range of jeans, and who happens to have a shop in Beverly Hills. "If someone comes into my store and asks for a UK size 10, I flip cartwheels," she said. "But most women in the business in LA are a zero, or if they are size 2 they are deeply ashamed. "These women aspire to the models on the catwalk, they too want to wear those designer clothes on the red carpet."

I told her that I once tried to put Liv Tyler, who is curvy, yes, but gorgeous, on a magazine cover, but no fashion designer had clothes big enough to fit her. Paige shook her head. "There is barely a celebrity who doesn’t buy into what the fashion world dictates. And they will do anything to become thin.

"I kept wondering why I would see an actress one week and she would look normal, and the next she would look gaunt, and I found out it is all down to crystal meth [which suppresses the appetite] the latest must-have accessory here in LA." She also told me the name of the ‘celebrity stylist’ who is now suddenly so in demand, simply because she also acts as the stars’ drug dealer.

When I asked Paige whether in fact what everyone is telling me is true, that all the models are just naturally skinny, she gave a wry laugh. "When I became a model at the age of 15 I was slim, I had won Miss California, for goodness’ sake, but the moment I signed with an agent I was told to lose the weight. "There is no way that a girl over seven and a half stone will get cast on the catwalk. I used to eat one rice cake a day to stay that way. And this meant I never menstruated."

She told me she could guarantee that very few of the girls on the catwalk in London this week will have regular periods, which means they are storing up problems, such as osteoporosis, for later in life. "I have seen first hand how these girls are treated," she said. "I would turn up on a shoot and be offered a line of coke; I have even been on shoots where there have been syringes of heroin laid out ready for the models. I always said, no thanks, I prefer to starve myself."


Source and Read about Rachel Zoe accussed Meth Dealer to the stars? Times Online UK
|